Dorothy D. Wilson
Nov. 27, 1917 – Dec. 11, 2012
The Light Of Life, whom we would call Dorothy Dean Mixon, was the eighth of 10 offspring born to Ernest and Ara Mixon on Nov. 27, 1917 in Jackson, Miss. Her siblings all preceded her in death.
After graduation from Lanier High School, Dorothy met and united in Holy matrimony with Woodrow Wilson in 1938. To that union were born five sons; Woodrow, Jr., Ian, Donald, Michael and James. Re-locating, first to Minneapolis, Minn., in 1943, the young family finally settled in Detroit in 1947.
Becoming a single parent in 1950, rather than permit her sons to be raised by strangers or have them fend for themselves, the Motherly instincts in Dorothy Wilson prevailed and she made the difficult decision to remain at home to raise her sons with God’s love and her own spirit of determination. She always said it was the most difficult, yet most rewarding decision of her life. With cherished memories of wonderful times shared as a family, all five sons are truly grateful for the love, guidance and stern leadership of their “Mother.”
In 1953, Dorothy Wilson joined the Marvin Dupree Choir as an alto. Specializing in Negro Spirituals, the Dupree Choir gained international notoriety throughout the 1950s and performed numerous concerts, special ceremonies and televised broadcasts before international dignitaries in Canada and the U.S. The Dupree Choir achieved local popularity as the chorale heard on the weekly radio broadcasts of Congressman Charles C. Diggs, Jr.
Dorothy Wilson, affectionately known to her family as “Auntie Dorothy,” leaves to cherish her memory, her five sons, eight grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren; a host of nieces, nephews and friends.
There is a very sacred and eternal place reserved in our hearts and minds for thoughts and memories of our dearest and beloved “Mother” and “Auntie Dorothy.”