Re-affirming self-evident truths
By Grace Lee Boggs
Special to the Michigan Citizen
At this time on the clock of the world:
- When we face the possibility of another 911 because our government’s drone strikes have been killing so many innocent men, women and children in the Muslim world
- When all life on earth may be extinguished because our government has done little or nothing to slow down the global warming, which is reaching a tipping point
- When millions are unemployed and our inner city schools have become pipelines to prison because our politicians and governments — national, state or local — have not accepted the responsibility or had the imagination to propose new forms of work that will enable everyone to be productive or make the paradigm shift in education that can transform our schools into hives of creativity and critical thinking.
The time has come for every concerned American to reaffirm the self-evident truths in the 1776 Declaration of Independence:
- That we are endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
- That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed
- That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness
That’s what we’ve been doing in Detroit. We’ve been:
- Doing visionary organizing to create new ways of life, institutions and forms of self-governance that seem most likely to protect our safety and happiness
- Making a radical revolution of values in the spirit of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., against racism, militarism and materialism; restoring the commons, bringing the neighbor back into the ‘hood
During Detroit 2012, July 1-15, we shared what we’ve been doing and learning with hundreds of activists from around the country and the world, urging them to carry on visionary organizing along similar lines in their own communities.
Contact Grace Lee Boggs at email@example.com